Thursday, April 30, 2015

Week 7 reflection

           We live in a digital world that requires teachers to be able to use digital tools for professional use and productivity. Instructors are now required to not just keep written documentation files in file cabinets. Today's digital world allows users to keep lesson plans and other important documents on cloud software such as Google Drive or OneDrive. Both software can be used to create and save word documentation, slides (or PowerPoint), and data sheets. Cloud software can be essential to data management. Databases help track a variety of detailed information (Bauer, 2014). Data that is saved on either cloud software can be shared with colleagues and administration.   
  
           I use Google Drive in order to organizing and storing data. My school district recently acquired Google as a new email provider. The district did not just receive Gmail accounts for employees but all of Google's services such as Google Drive, Google+, and YouTube.Google drive made my professional life easier.Communication between administration and peers changed for the better.  I no longer had to use a jump drive to save data. I could easily share my lesson plans with the administration. I could collaborate and share documents with other colleagues in the district.   
  
In addition to working with peers, Google Drive teachers have a web page on their school websites. Teachers can use their web pages to communicate with parents about learning activities, assignments, and coming events. Secondly instructors can add calendar dates for important events, post videos or audio files of student performances. On my web page, I use a slide presentation created with prezi.com. Each slide gives the view information on who I am, what students will be learning in my class, and how students are graded.  
  
Social media can be a means to communicate with parents and the community. I use my professional Twitter account for professional learning networks (PLN). Those that utilize social networks in conjunction with technologies such as discussion forums, video conferencing, and social bookmarking can lead to learning experiences specifically for the individual (Bauer, 2014). Though I recently started this blog I have had my twitter account along with my Pinterest and Diigo account for about three years. I had gather information and gained insight on various of topics in education. Additionally, I was able to find other music educators Pinterest boards, Diigo groups, and blogs.  
  
Teachers are now able to communicate, collaborate, and network with other with digital technology. Content are teachers such as Music, Art, or Drama can no longer be secluded at their schools. The digital community is a broad community where individual can find peers with a common interest.


Bauer, W. I. (2014). Music learning today: Digital pedagogy for creating, performing, and responding 

                to music. New York: Oxford University Press. 

1 comment:

  1. Aaron –
    My school is also switching to the Google platform – although I think we are keeping our non-Google emails. We have started creating our webpages through Google Sites. I have just set up the “skeleton” of my website, but I feel that once my new website is complete, it will not only look more professional than my old website, but it will enable me to better connect with parents and the community since many people already access Google regularly.
    I agree with your point in your last paragraph that special area teachers are no longer secluded at their schools. I made the point in my post though that you still have to make the effort to communicate with other music teachers in your district that teach in other buildings. But with technology, there is no excuse! Technology is not only connecting staff within the same district, but allows teachers to learn “anytime, anywhere, with potentially anyone around the world…” (Bauer, 2014, p. 175).
    Learning at the time of day/night that fits your schedule best was a big selling point for me regarding taking courses online. The transportation factor was also another big part of my decision since I do not live close to a university that offers a masters in music education.


    Reference

    Bauer, W. I. (2014). Music learning today: Digital pedagogy for creating, performing, and responding to music. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.

    ReplyDelete